Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Salam Namaste, Recruitment Teams

I salute your patience and celebrate your spirit of success.

 

My “Hiring Manager” avatar for the last few months made me realize how increasingly difficult it has become to hire good people (oops! I should have said “right” people).  By “Good”, I mean people who match the profile of the position we are trying to fill.  I truly believe everyone is just as good as anyone else.  I think everyone is good for “some” job.  It’s just that the profiles should match.  And that’s THE key.  Finding that right match.

 

It all starts with volatile requirements (you techies over there, this sounds familiar? yeah, it is!).  Is it 10 developers or 12?  What is the mix of college-grads/juniors/seniors?  What are team sizes and their mix? etc.  Once we have a ball-park number, the exercise of “selling” the organization shuroo.  Then you start exploring various means of “finding” these “right ones”.  Media ads, consultants, referrals, word of mouth blah blah blah.

 

If you release ads in news paper, you can be sure that hundreds, if not thousands of resumes start hitting your email.  Be warned to have a bigger mail box.  Once you start receiving these mails, filtering them is another tedious process.  Accommodating curricula received from various sources, and keeping track of them is not as easy as it sounds.

 

Telescreening, logical tests, aptitude tests, code tests!  Personal interviews, office interviews, HR interviews and technical interviews!! First round, second round, third round and even seventh round in some organizations!!!  You have many challenges to find this “right one”.  And when you find one, probably you are justified if you feel you accomplished great achievement of success.  In all probability, you end up negotiating the right deal with your “prospective” employee.  Your colleagues realize your accomplishment as you yell “HURRAHHH!!” while rushing through the exit door.

 

All your “hurrah!!”s turn into “oh! NO”s when you start receiving calls from the “chosen ones” – explaining various reasons why they can’t come on board!!  Someones’ pay just got better, someone else just got a promotion.  Someones’ relocating to a whole new universe, while someone else just realized that they should be “more loyal” to the current organization.  For somebody, their boss wouldn’t let them go, and someone else, its their dog!

 

And finally (sadly) we are back to square one.

 

I pity peoples’ lack of decision making skills (or should I pity myself – they just made a decision NOT to make a move!  But then I wonder why they DID go through all this pain).  Two things that come to my mind in this situation:

 

  1. I thank GOD for not letting me work with these guys who are not great decision makers anyway!
  2. I build my pipeline stronger so that I can have backups!!

 

I know I sound harsh when I say these things.  But that’s reality.  That’s how I feel.  And I guess most of the professionals in the field of recruitment also feel the same way.

 

I did it just once – on a large scale, full time.  I can’t imagine myself doing this all over again for the rest of my life. 

 

This job needs patience.  This job needs Godly patience.

 

That’s why, Salam Namaste, Recruitment Teams.

2 comments:

Kabilan Nagarajan said...

Please don't generalize people are poor decision makers just because they didn't joined your company. Joining a company is purely dependent on individual priorities and goals. It may be possible that your company is not convincing them fully and they may be joined in other good companies.

Bapiraju Nandury said...

Well, I did NOT mean that people are poor decision makers BECAUSE they did not join my company. What I questioned was people's decision making skills. I welcome their decision not to make a move -- but had they done that in the beginning itself, it might have saved a lot of people lot of time and energy.

I was questioning people's decision making skills in the cotext of "Not-showing-up-on-the-date-of-joing". Of course everyone is entitled to make their own decisions and I respect them for that.