Monday, August 22, 2005

Cool GDS v2

Just installed Google Desktop v2.0. (http://desktop.google.com/index.html)

 

I think it’s cool.  I liked the Side Bar idea.  Of course, there have been many applications till now that served as side bars with various applications embedded in.  But I liked this one because it has active content in it.  It has an RSS feed reader, a quick TODO pad, a scratch pad etc.  Of course, I can’t use the weather bar, as it still does not show me Bangalore weather.  Or the news bars, as the news is mostly related to the western world.

 

The best thing I liked about it is the Outlook search bar plug-in.  All these days, I have just been using GDS to search my mails.  I realized Outlook built in search is such a time wasting effort.  I found it most of the times to act dumb, and miss the content I am looking for.  It never happened with the GDS.  It picked up exactly what I was looking for, and that too at a lightening speed.  That’s the primary purpose I use GDS for.  And I felt so happy to see the latest version to come up with a special plug-in for outlook.  I hope the experience gets better.

No comments: